Pages

Sunday 11 November 2012

We shall remember them

On this special day, I would like to give my thanks for those who gave their lives... and give their lives for our freedom's. This is one of my favourite poems, written by John McCrae to commemorate the death of a friend who had died the day before in battle and I would like to share this with you after a long absence from blogging



In Flanders fields the poppies blow
     between the crosses, row on row,
   That mark our place; and in the sky
   The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
   Loved and were loved, and now we lie
         In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
   The torch; be yours to hold it high.
   If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
         In Flanders fields.


                                            Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae was a soldier, physician and poet

7 comments:

Redanne said...

Hello Anna, it is my most favourite poem and it always makes me feel very emotional - so necessary so that we do not forget.

Lovely to see you back in blogland.

Crafty hugs, Anne x

Jenny Marples said...

Beautiful poem Anna and so good to see you back in blogland. You've been sorely missed. Hugs, Buttons x

Connie said...

Hello Anna, this is one of my favorite poems. I even have a painting that I did last spring, with this poem as its theme.
I was going to take it to our VFW and donate it to them for auction, to raise money for their cause. Then I found out that we no longer have a VFW in our home :(
So next spring before Memorial Day, I will look for another place to donate it.
Thanks for sharing this poem . . . it always makes me cry, but in a proud way.
Your blogging sister, Connie

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

I know this poem all too well, and love it. Being the daughter of a military man, I've seen many memorials and gone to countless ceremonies where it's been read! Thank you for posting it so we can always remember! Love the poppy photo as well! Glad you are back! See you very soon!!!

Words and Pictures said...

Thank you for sharing this poem this weekend...

Glad to have you back in Craftyblogland, and thank you so much for your kind words over at Words and Pictures... much appreciated!
Alison x

cheap nfl nike jerseys said...

I know this poem all too well, and love it. Being the daughter of a military man, I've seen many memorials and gone to countless ceremonies where it's been read!

Cccam Server Best Provider in UK said...

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post

Cardsharing Server